Moving to a new house is a great opportunity to get rid of junk and unwanted household items which have accumulated in dark corners, cupboards and sheds over the years. Garage sales are an Australian institution, with seasoned garage sale chasers searching the advertising columns every weekend and seeking out bargains.
If you plan to hold your own garage sale, follow these tips to get the most out of your day-
- First step, advertise your sale in your local paper and community sites. Mention a few special items to attract attention.
- On the day of your sale, put up signs outside and at the main intersections near your home. Clearly write the street address.
- Mark the price on each item beforehand or have tables sorted by price points, such as ‘Any item $5’
- Books, magazines, comics and old vinyl records can be sold by the box, depending on the quantity.
- Display your items attractively on the driveway, where the light is good and where you can keep an eye on the activities.
- Make sure you have plenty of small change ready from the start, with all coin denominations and notes.
- One person only should handle the cash and never leave the cash box unattended.
- Be aware – bargain hunters are out early, so be prepared to start the day earlier than expected!
Why not try a garage sale the next time you do a big seasonal house clean? You may be surprised by how much money you raise from what you thought was junk!
- Mark Forde